For users of Windows XP
- Download the installer for the Visual Basic 6 Runtime.
- Run the installer you just download, and follow the steps in the Installation Wizard.
- Download the updates for the Runtime:
- Run the installers you just downloaded and follow the steps in their Installation Wizards.
For users of Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10
The Visual Basic Runtime is a component of Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, rather than a separate application. For this reason, it does not need to be installed in the first place, and it cannot be uninstalled or reinstalled the way you would with a normal application.
In these OSs, you must replace the Runtime's DLL with a valid copy, and then register it. To do that:
- Run the System File Checker.
- Once SFC has finished, in the same elevated command prompt you used to run SFC, type the following command:
- If you are using a 64 bit version of windows:
- If you are using a 32 bit version of windows:
- A message box will appear telling you if the registration of the file was successful or not.