By default, Déjà Vu X3 will only insert text it extracts from an imported document into the source column, and leave the target column empty. The only exception to this is when it imports documents in one of the supported multilingual formats, in which case text from each language in the multilingual document will be placed in the appropriate column for its language in the project.
Therefore, there is no direct way to put text from a document in the source column and text from an available translation in the target column, which is what is needed to be able to use Déjà Vu X3 Quality Assurance functionality to check translations already made outside of Déjà Vu X3.
There is a way to work around this, however. In this article, we will illustrate it with an example.
Suppose that you have 2 documents, and original document (document1) and its translation (document2). Document1 has text in English, and document2 has the same text translated to Spanish. You have been tasked with checking the translations in document2, and you would like to be able to use your Déjà Vu X3 TMs and TBs to be able to run Déjà Vu X3's QA checks on them.
In this situation, you will do the following:
- Create a new alignment project, and use it to align document1 and document2 and send the result to a new TM that you will use only for this.
- Create a new project and, during project creation:
- Select English as the source language and Spanish as the target language.
- Import document1 into it.
- Assign the TM from step 1 to the project.
- Once document1 has finished importing, pre-translate it accepting only exact matches.
- Check the project to make sure that Déjà Vu X3 retrieved matches for all the segments. If you joined or split segments from document1 during step 1, you may need to join or split segments in the same way now.
- You will have successfully placed the text from both language in the project, each language in a different column in the editing grid.
- Remove the TM from step 1 from the project.
- Attach the TMs and TBs that contain the information you need to do your QA checks.
Once this is done, you should be able to run QA checks on this project and, therefore, use the content of your TMs and TBs to check the translations in document2 even though they were not made in Déjà Vu X3.