There are 3 ways to add a file to a project in Déjà Vu X2. You can add files to a project during the creation of the project, or by using the Project Explorer or the Advanced Project Explorer.
Add files to project during project creation
You can add files to a project in the appropriate page of the Project Creation Wizard. The files will be added to the project and their text will be imported into the project automatically once the wizard has been completed.
Add files to project using the Project Explorer
You can use the Project Explorer to add files to an existing project. The Project Explorer can be found in the upper right-hand side of the main Déjà Vu X2 window. It shows the files currently added to the project as well as the internal structure of the project. Déjà Vu X2 allows you to sort files into folders inside the project to help you organize files in large projects.
To add a file to the project:
- Right-click on the project name in the Project Explorer and select the option Add>Source File... in the menu that comes up.
- A file selection dialog will appear to allow you to select the files you want to add. When you have selected the files you want click Open and the files will be added to the project and displayed in the Project Explorer in faded color. This means that the file's text has not been imported into the project yet.
- At this point you may want to change the filter used to import the file, or change its properties. If you don't want to do this, or do not know what this means, go to the next step.
- To import the text, right-click on a file and select the option Import.
- A Progress Indicator will appear to show you how much of the text has been imported, and to warn you when the import is done.
Add files to project using the Advanced Project Explorer
Déjà Vu X2 also allows you to use the Advanced Project Explorer, which is similar to the Project Explorer but more powerful. It is easier to use when you have to maintain projects that have many files, for example. To bring up the Advanced Project Explorer access the menu option View>Advanced Project Explorer. You will see something like this:
Occupying most of the Déjà Vu X2 main window is the Advanced Project Explorer. At the top right-hand side of the main window is the Project Explorer, which remains visible while you are working on a project.
The Advanced Project Explorer is divided into 4 sections. The sections are as follows:
- This sections shows a folder tree, which shows you the folders available of your computer.
- This section shows you the files that currently exist inside the folder selected in section 1 of the Advanced Project Explorer.
- This section shows a folder tree showing the internal structure of the project. You can create folders inside the project to help you organize documents. This structure will be maintained when you export the finished translations.
- Section 4 shows you the files that currently exist inside the folder selected in section 3, within your project.
Thus, the upper part of the Advanced Project Explorer shows you the files on your computer, while the bottom part shows you to files in your project. You can add files to the project by navigating to the folder where they are found in section 1, then selecting them in section 2 and dragging them to section 4. This will add the files to the internal structure, though it will not import the text contained in those files. To do that, you must select the files you want to import in section 4, right-click on them and select the option Import in the menu that pops up.