How to check a folder's Security
You can view security permissions for files and folders by completing the following steps:
- In Windows Explorer, right-click the file or folder you want to work with.
- From the pop-up menu, select Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box click the Security tab.
- In the Name list box, select the user, contact, computer, or group whose permissions you want to view.
How to change a folder's Security
You can change the Security configuration of a file or folder using the same dialog that you used to see the configuration. To do so:
- Once you have the Security tab for a file or folder open, click on the Edit... button.
- A new dialog will open that allows you to edit the list of users and groups, and the specific permissions that are granted or denied to them:
- Users or groups that already have access to the file or folder are listed in the Name list box. You can change permissions for these users and groups by doing the following:
- Select the user or group you want to change.
- Use the Permissions list box to grant or deny access permissions.
If you want to add a new user of group
- Click Add....
- The Select Users or Groups dialog appears:
- Type the name of the user or group you want to add in the textbox and click Check Names.
- If Windows recognizes the name, it will replace the text you wrote with the full name of the user account or group you want to add.
- Click OK.
To change the permissions of a user or group
- Select the user or group whose permissions you want to change.
- Click on the checkbox in the Allow or the Deny column in order to grant or deny a particular permission for the selected user or group. In this case, we click on Allow for the Full Control permission, which automatically checks all the other permissions:
- Click Apply to apply the changes, or OK to apply the changes and close the dialog window.
This article explains these procedures, as well as the meaning of the different permissions that can be granted or denied.