Smart Tags recognize data types, such as names, dates and places, with a dotted purple line appearing under the data as a Smart Tag indicator. The Smart Tag enables appropriate actions to be performed for the data type identified. After enabling a Smart Tag, it appears every time a data type matches the list defined. You can remove Smart Tags from a document this way:
In word 2003:
- From Tools menu, select AutoCorrect Options. (The AutoCorrect: English (US) dialog box appears.)
- Select the Smart Tags tab. (The Smart Tags tab options appears.)
- Clear the Label text with smart tags check box to turn off all smart tags.
- Select Remove Smart Tags. (A message box to confirm deletion appears.)
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
- Click OK.
In word 2007:
Click on the Office button , then in the menu that appears select the options Word Options>Proofing>AutoCorrect Options>Smart tags>Remove Smart Tags.
In Word 2010 and newer:
Support for Smart Tags has been removed from Office 2010, since the Smart tags are now deprecated by Microsoft. There are are no options or functions available in Word 2010 related to Smart Tags, and, therefore, there is no known method to remove them with this version.